Thursday, January 31, 2013

my purpose.


sometimes, it's easy to sit here and wonder what life is really all about.. then there are days like today. days when people allow themselves to have a moment of vulnerability. to completely breakdown. without reservation. without that strong face they constantly put on.. and they let themselves talk about the pain they're continually trying to mask. days that remind you of your true purpose in this world: to love people. to listen. to let them know, sometimes without even using words, that they have someone on their side. someone that is safe. that won't judge them. that won't awkwardly scramble to find the perfect words, but will allow them a place of respite.  

it's no small thing that even people I hardly know are constantly sharing their lives with me. it’s easy to see that as no big deal. as small talk. as something that happens to everyone. but I’m realizing more and more every day that it’s not. and although it may leave me with a heavy heart at times, I see it as an honor to have the ability to carry some of their weight when it’s become too much for them to carry alone. even if it’s just in that moment, knowing I was able to provide that for them when they needed it most makes it worth every bit of heartache it may bring me.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. You are wonderful! If it really gets to you, it helps to remember that it's their stuff, not yours. I know we're wired similarly and react to certain things similarly as well. But it always helps me to remember that it's not my stuff to own when I start to internalize. Remember to care for you, too :)

    ReplyDelete